Thursday, October 14, 2010

wombat territory



Wombats are proud animals. They don't just leave their waste anywhere like it were meaningless or dirty. They do their business on podiums- on rocks, bits of bark, sticks and whatever they can find to elevate their neat little doodies. I always imagine in my head them backing up, beep beep beep, like a truck onto those tiny rocks. 

Unfortunately most of the wild wombats I have ever seen have been roadkill or about to become roadkill (standing in the middle of the road looking into car lights). When we go bushwalking I look into every hole in the ground I see and it is my dream to see a wombat asleep in a hollow log. 

A few weeks ago, whilst out bush, Vic and I sat in the dark atop the hill that backs the cabin and listened to the sounds of the night- rustles and soft thuds. Vic mused that she wished that when I turned the torch back on there'd be a wombat standing right there, looking at us, cute and furry like Womby the wombat toy. I'm not sure I share her wishes- wombats can be quite aggressive and as proven by their poo podiums, territorial. But I do love wombats!

1 comment: