Saturday, October 2, 2010

honeybee honeybee.






'If the bee disappeared off the surface of the globe, then man would only have four years of life left. No more pollination, no more plants, no more animals, no more man.'- Einstein

I love bees. I want to feel them crawling on me- not like those videos you see of people with every inch of their bodies covered in swarms of the critters but I like to feel them dance on and off my skin tip tapping and bouncing here and there. Sadly bees only exist tentatively threatened by virus' caused by destructive agricultural practises such as the use of pesticides. We must give bees thanks for 1/3 of the food we eat. Their pollination ensures we have delicious foods- can you imagine a world without avacado? pumpkin? oranges? 


There is a mobile bee hut set up outside MCA at the moment, for the In The Balance; Art for A Changing World. Apparently on Saturday (when I'll be away..boo) you can go and have a picnic and a chat about the native stingless bees and eat some pikelets with their honey. Sydney collective Makeshift (navigate around their website- it's very cool) are the food activists/artists behind it all. Read about the project here.

3 comments:

  1. I was at the zoo a few weeks ago and in the kiddie section they have a little native beehive, it's so easy to miss, but I was lucky enough to spot it. They little creatures almost look like flies, but I guess they make honey. I've been really keen to try some of their honey since. I wonder if I could set up a native beehive on my veranda ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't see why not! there's still air and places for them to travel and flowers and plants for them to pollinate and feast upon! the hive would fit!

    the native ones aren't as good for honey apparently- they don't produce as much as the european ones, the more bumbleey ones. but they're very nice to watch.

    buzzbuzzz.

    ReplyDelete