Thursday, October 29, 2009

Where are all the filmmakers? Kino #31

I can't really put into words how Kino has changed my life. I was first encouraged to come along by one Kate Taylor, who I'd worked with on one infamous film set in early 2008. It took a few Kino's before I decided to take up the recommendation, the constant talk of it whirring through my new set of, what is now known as Punk Monk, pals. I didn't know what to expect of this "Kino" constantly reiterated as, "no, not Keno, KINO!" It certainly wasn't a bunch of old gamblers sitting in a stinky pub watching numbers come up on a screen and drinking away another loss.

No, Kino doesn't take that risk- a good time is always guaranteed. Kino does have drinks however, and a crowd and a big screen. Held in the cool, underground Fraser Studios, behind the Clare, Kino is a night of open mic film screenings, friendly film makers or at least film-friendly folk who enjoy hanging out in a warm, creative atmosphere where a cover charge gets you whisky or beer all night and crepes assembled on the spot by awesome volunteers like myself. You can bring a film you've made or just come hang out, and though there are rules, most people almost want to break them with the punishment a challenge film to be delivered at the next event.

With film culture and most of what is cool, so underground here in Sydney, groups such as Kino (which operates in cells internationally) are so important in helping people connect to like- minded folk. Kino has given me what are now my best friends and colleagues and motivated me to make my own films and run events. It really is a fabulous vibe! Come along (the next one is next Mon) and see what its all about- it's a Monday well spent indeed!

Photos of Kinos past by Victoria Waghorn and the Kino tribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment